I'm all atwitter:

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Measure twice, sew twice

So we're all clear: Baby doesn't sew.

As mentioned earlier, when I sew, I "sew." I iron that stitch witchery stuff between the edges and call it done. I had lofty plans of doing something similiar with lining the felted bag.

I had to work today at noon so I had a couple of hours more than usual this morning to piddle around. I downed half a pot of coffee and was ready to get to work. I measured my bag and made notes. Then I measured again and confirmed. Damn I'm good at measuring. I went on a wild search for the magic stitch witch stuff and could NOT find it. I think Maddy hid it from me. :(

Since I now had it in my head that I had to line the bag TODAY, I got cozy with the idea of hand sewing the lining. I had figured out that the easiest way to do this would be to cut a length of fabric to make a tube of sorts for the sides of the bag (only one seam) and then a square for the bottom. Easy enough.

Noooot so much. Since I gave myself a generous seam allowance, my liner was to big. Crap. So I had to sew it again. After that, however, it fit perfectly and I was ready to attach it. That went well until my hands cramped up. Baby's too delicate to be a seamstress.

I picked a pretty peacock color. I thought it along with the silky material would make a nice contrast. In hindsight, I really wish I had found a nice pink or something lighter.



And so you may see my terrible stitches...

Maddy doesn't give a shit. She just wishes that bag had kibble in it!

6 comments:

Natalie Rush said...

I love the bag you felted. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad you did because you seem very similar to me... :) We've got a couple things in common especially that we've both just started knitting, have black labs, and a boyfriend. How does your boyfriend handle the new knitting obsession?? Mine is trying to cope but gets a bit upset when I knit too much...what is too much?? I always feel like it's too little. heheh I should have probably just emailed you but I'll keep it short. :) I'm glad to meet you and Thanks again for commenting. Now I'll have to go back and start reading your old blogs. :)

Ally said...

That's what I liked about your blog so much :) I'm a big doggie lover and yours are TOO CUTE.

Al's handling the knitting just fine. He's tickled that I have a hobby and is so interested in what I do and is really proud of me. We're pretty much both only children (his sister is 20+ years older than he) so we entertain ourselves just fine and sit hours w/out speaking to the other. Not a big deal at all.

I'm glad to have found your blog and met you too :) You're on my blogroll and in my RSS feed so I'll be sure to stay in touch and up-to-date :) xoxo

Natalie Rush said...

I added you to both as well. :)

Kenny's hobbies are Golf and fishing and right now he doesn't do either that often but when he does it's a whole day thing. I go fishing with him but the golfing I'm not there yet. :) He's still trying to figure out how to be excited about my knitting but I have to give it to him he does try. :)

We are both the babies of the family so we tend to want attention from each other. ;) and like to get our way. I'm learning about not always needing to get my way. I'm great at it with my friends but need to work on it with him. :)

Your puppy is so cute too!!!

Hope your having a great day.

Ally said...

I'd tell ole Kenny to just suck it up ;) Then again, I'm a haughty bitch sometimes. hahaha Is he one to wear a scarf or hat? How about involving him in picking yarn for something to make for him? Al's already excited and supportive but he's REALLY into that gray scarf since it's for him and he helped the yarn.

I'm all about getting my way AND being right 100% of the time. Thankfully, Al's patient and wrong a lot (hahaaha) so it works :)

Don't you just want to squeeze Maddy to pieces? I'm sitting here at work, wishing I could be home to pet her. I'm so in love w/her fuzzy face.

Natalie Rush said...

I'm actually making him this really cool hat that he picked out the yarn for. It's a ribbed beanie. I'm going to finish it this week so I'll post a picture of it. I really want to cast on for my first sock tonight. I got the yarn this weekend and I feel it burning a hole in my stash. hehehe

I love to squeeze Jackjack too..Black labs are just the cutest dogs...not that Abby is not cute. :) Maddy has a great face. :)

Ally said...

I'm proud to say that Maddy is The Prettiest Girl in the Whole World. :) She's a lab-boxer mix and goodness...that face. She's especially pretty for a doggie I think. Granted, I'm a partial proud mama, but she's pretty darn special.

I loooove lab and golden faces. They're so squishy and always need kisses!

I'm not ready for socks. Not at all. I bought some DPNs and sock yarn but it made my head hurt. I may take another stab at it ...we'll see!