I'm all atwitter:

Saturday, September 8, 2007

The First FO

At my Knitting for Dummies class, we were supplied with some Clover bamboos in #11 and our choice of colors in Lamb's Pride Bulky. Baby chose Tiger Lily which is a lovely soft orange. It doesn't clash against my red hair or pale, splotchy skin. It's almost flattering!

Class was on a Tuesday night and I knitted and purled my little heart out for two hours. Then I came home, practiced my stitches and poked Al with my knitting needle. Oh how I enjoy knitting. I always have a weapon in my hand. Before I just swatted him away with my hand but now I can stab and smack him. His love for me grows with every smack, swat and dropped stitch.

I was off work the next day because my Daddy was scheduled for carpal tunnel surgery. It sounds so vile saying "My Daddy" but I'm southern and that's what I call my father. He's my Daddy not my daddy. Y'all know the difference.

Anyhoo, I seized the opportunity and practiced my stitches in the waiting room. Mama tried her best to ignore me. I think she's tired of my craftiness. I out Grandma her anyday. Now, before any of you start speculating a la People magazine, Baby doens't have a baby. She has a dog. One very cute, very spoiled, very obstinate dog.

After two or so feet, I grew tired of garter ridges and stockinette so off I went into ribbing. It worked and looked like "real" knitting. So I frogged all my practice stitches and began a 2x2 ribbed scarf. It took about two weeks because Baby is easily distracted. Her little fingers were very out of shape and would hurt after too much knitting action.

In the spirit of being ancient, Mama had a pesky ovary removed and that afforded Baby more Waiting Room Knitting. I finished up my scarf whilst Daddy leaned over and asked me questions. He's not intimidated in my craftiness! Fortunately he's the Manliest of Men and I'll never have to knit him a scarf. I wonder if there's a pattern out there for a shotgun cozy? That'd make a great Christmas pressie!

The fruit of my labor:

Nestled into it's new home...

And sprawled on the kitchen counter so that you may enjoy the ribby goodness.

How's that for a knitty newb? :) Baby likes.

No comments: